Serves: 4 > Prep: 20 min > Cook: 30 min > Ready in: 50 min
Ingredients (see notes for alternatives) –
350g firm tofu, dried/pressed, & cut into 4 slices
1 ½ to 1 ¾ Cups breadcrumbs
1 tsp kelp powder
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
¼ tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
1 ½ tbsp. olive oil or Coconut Oil
½ Cup Dairy-Free Milk
3 Tbsp Flour
Flour, as needed
1 cup to 1 ½ Cup vegan mayonnaise
1 large or about 1/3 cup pickles, chopped
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
4 buns of choice (I love Sprouted Hills Bakery’s Garlic Bagels, or homemade buns)
1) Preheat oven to 350o F, Press Your Tofu (I do not have a press so I use this method: http://www.veggiebelly.com/2011/04/how-to-press-tofu.html )
2) In a bowl, mix up your crumbs with kelp powder, garlic, paprika, salt, & Oil.
3) In a separate bowl, whisk milk & 3 tbsp flour, well
4) In a third bowl or on a plate, measure out ½ to ¾ cup flour
5) Dip tofu slices into milk mixture, flour, and then milk mixture; then into the breadcrumb mixture, and pat it lightly to coat well.
6) Place on a baking tray prepped with parchment paper and bake for 30 minutes, turning when first side is browned and began to crisp. Once flipped side is brown and crispy they are done.
Tartar Sauce –
1) While Fillets are baking, mix all Tartar sauce ingredients together
– I have subbed bread crumbs with crushed cereal flakes, panko, or even crushed crackers
– If you do not have Kelp powder, you can use 1 tbsp crumbled nori sheets (best way to do this is in a magic bullet)
– Vegan Mayonnaise can be subbed with a homemade cashew based mayonnaise (see in Sauces/Dips/Spreads)
– Parchment paper can be replaced with a piece of greased tin foil, but then do not add oil to breading mixture.