- 1 cup dried unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup dates
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt (do not omit!)
- 1 tablespoon tahini
Place all raw pie crust ingredients in a food processor and blend until well processed but still slightly mealy/chunky.
Press down into your pie plate!
- 1 ¼ cup ground raw sugar (size of table sugar)
- ½ cup corn starch
- ¼ teaspoon agar
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 ¼ cup milk Alternative (I like thick consistency of almond milk)
- 1 cup water
- ¾ cup lemon juice + 1 ½ tablespoons lemon zest (Sub ½ juice with fresh pressed juice of another flavour for fun)
Add to sauce pan and bring to boil and whisk for 4-5 minutes, it will turn into a pudding like mixture and when you can’t stir no more it’s ready to go in the pie crust, then cool for an hour or two. Note: when marbling follow the same
- 1 16 ounce can of chickpeas – put a colander over a large mixing bowl and pour the chickpeas in to drain the brine into the mixing bowl. Put the chickpeas in an airtight container and refrigerate until ready to eat.
- ¾ of a cup of finely ground sugar – grind regular sugar in a blender if you don’t have finely ground sugar
- ¼ of a teaspoon of cream of tartar
- 1 and ½ teaspoons of pure vanilla extract
Pour the liquid from the can of chickpeas into the bowl of a stand/hand mixer…but do not do this by hand. Add the cream of tartar. Whip the bean juice with the whisk attachment until it starts to thicken.
Slowly Begin to add the sugar and vanilla and continue whipping on high. This process took me 9-10 minutes, but it can take up to 15 to 20 minutes.
Keep it going on high speed until the mixture has a thick whipped cream consistency. If meringue is gloopy, it will deflate. NOTE: A spoonful of meringue at the proper consistency will not drip if you hold it upside down. Best Meringue Instruction Video: https://youtu.be/d2wIYfNukZE
To assemble: Preheat oven to 200°F. Pipe dollops of meringue on top of the pie. Bake for 2 1/2-3 hours or until the meringue is toasted. The baking time will depend on the amount of meringue on your pie, and how it’s piped on. Thick layers will take longer to bake. Remove from the oven and let cool completely, letting the meringue set.
To make meringue cookies out of leftover meringue, dollop meringue onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake at 200°F for 2 hours. Turn off the oven and let dry with the oven door cracked for a couple of hours.
This Recipe is made by combining and altering a few favorites, I was assisting with a wedding Allergy Menu. Sources –