The boyfriend asked that I make snack food, previously I had made him an evolution of a cinnamon roll….Recipe for a later date 😉 Anyways, so I decided on pop tarts, spent most of one day making jams, and today I made 3 batches of dough (Gluten-Free, Peanut Butter, and a 1/2 & 1/2 of Spelt and All-Purpose Flour)
The PB Dough & Apple Pie Filling is amazing
Makes 8- 10 pop tarts
- 4 cups Flour (Plus 2 tsp Xanthan Gum for every 1 cup flour, if using Gluten-Free Flour)
- 2 pinches of salt
- 320 ml (10 ml less than 1 1/3 cup) softened Earth Balance Butter
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup water, (start with a 1/4 cup and add 1 tbsp at a time from there)
Favorite Jam or pie filling
- Mix Flour & Salt together, then cut butter into flour mixture, very well, with pastry cutter or fork.
- Starting with a 1/4 cup, drizzle cold water over the mixture and mix with a wooden spoon until it starts to form a dough. I added almost 1/2 cup. It should be moist enough to form into a ball, but not too sticky to knead.
- Turn onto a floured surface, split dough in 1/2, shape one 1/2 into a disc, and then use a rolling pin to roll into a large rectangle that is about 5mm thick
- Cut into 8 to 10 equal rectangles and carefully transfer each to the baking sheet.
- Place about 3 tbsp of filling onto the rectangles, leaving a 1/4 inch border to seal the edges. Then use your finger to dot water around the edges so the two rectangles stick together. Top the rectangles with their matching halves and then seal l with a fork, careful not to pierce through dough.
- Repeat with second 1/2 of dough.
- Bake for 15 to 20 mins or until begins to brown.
- Let cool for a few minutes, then top with glaze if desired.
– Add more flour if it gets too wet.
– If dough cracks, dip fingers in water and run it over the crack sealing it back together
– For Peanut Butter dough add 2/3 cup peanut butter to the recipe when you are cutting in the butter